My birthday is in a couple of days and it got me thinking – I started thinking about my life, and how much it has changed, how fluid it has been and how much I have changed along with it. I feel like I have learned so much, particularly in the last few years when in essence, one life collapsed and another evolved.
So, here are my new rules for life:
- Don’t live by rules! There isn’t only one right way to do things. Be open-minded, willing to try new things, see the flaws in what you are accustomed to and open to contemplate ideas that are contradictory to your own. It’s a pretty amazing world out there, but you’ll miss it all together if you stay in your box.
- Laugh. A lot. Choose happiness. Yes, it’s a choice.
- Enjoy life. Enjoy the moment. Enjoy the journey. So much time can be wasted thinking about the past, or trying to plan the future, or worse -worrying about the future – that the time passes and the moment you missed becomes the one you want to reflect on. Enjoy the little things.
- Enjoy your kids. Laugh with them. Love them. Squeeze them. Tickle them. Hug them. Listen to them. Chase them. Let them know you adore them and they can do anything.
- Don’t ever sacrifice your dreams and what is important to you for what somebody else says you should do.
- Try new things.
- Learn – always. Be hungry to learn. There is so much in life to learn. Read. Listen. Take classes. It makes life incredibly exciting!
- Cherish people. Value the relationships in life, but never let another person define you. And remember, life is fluid. Some friendships don’t last – it doesn’t mean they weren’t good. Life changes.
- Don’t be afraid to fail. Sometimes, getting lost helps you find yourself. We learn so much from our failures, and gain a strength and fortitude that could never be gained through a book or class. Get out there and live your life. Your failures become moments you cherish when you look back. It sounds crazy, but it’s true – because those moments serve as a catalyst to things you could have never previously imagined – or accomplished had you not ‘failed’!
- Work hard.
- Don’t be afraid to be different. Everybody wants to be unique, nobody wants to be different. You can’t be unique without being different.
- Don’t be afraid to change course. Dream, start and keep going. The path will change. Keep going.
- Don’t be afraid.
- Look for the good – in people and situations. You will find what you are looking for. If you look for ‘bad’, you will see it. If you look for good, you will see it. Sometimes you may get burned, but that would happen anyway. Choose the good.
- Meet new people. Befriend people who are different than you – older, younger, different interests, perspectives, goals – as well as those you resonate with.
- Never stop dreaming.